I’m a self confessed cereal lover. However, I avoid most cereals due to the lack of vitamins, overload in sugars, oils, chemicals and GMO foods found within the products. Enter my super delicious granola. The secret to good granola is all in the oven: slowly toasting the nuts & oats over a long period of time.
*Warning – it will be incredibly hard to not eat this granola fresh from the oven as aromas of honey, vanilla, cinnamon and roasting oats take over your kitchen. This recipe is easy to make and contains no artificial sweetener, additional oils or chemicals. In fact, it’s really quite healthy. The base of my granola is half whole grain rolled oats and half buckwheat. (For those who don’t know – buckwheat is a high protein seed and is gluten free.) It has added value such as nuts (for additional protein), flax (for fiber), goji berries (antioxidant), raisons (vitamin B, iron & potassium) and cinnamon (blood sugar control) . But despite all the healthy reasons to eat it – the best reason is because it’s freakin delicious!
- 1 cup wholegrain rolled oats
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 200g almonds
- 70g cashews
- 30g sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2-3 tbsp organic honey
- 130g dried fruit (I used dried goji berries, apricots, cranberries, raisons and blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 120c
- Combine ingredients #1-6 in a bowl
- Warm honey & vanilla and stir through the dry mix – coating the nuts & oats
- Very thinly arrange on a baking tray (I spread across 2 trays on baking paper)
- Toast the granola for 1 hour or until golden. I rotated my trays every 15 minutes while baking.
- Once baked, allow to cool and stir through the dried fruits & flax.