Sushi sushi sushi. All week I’ve had sushi on the brain. Unfortunately I try to reserve my ‘cheat meals’ for the weekend (way too far in the future), so I decided to recreate a healthy dish inspired by sushi flavours to satisfy my present cravings. In our house hold we try to eat ‘meat-free’ at least one day a week, so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity. To top it off, I did some googling on Monday night and discovered a Japanese inspired, oil free, ginger salad dressing (made up of blended chickpeas and other good stuff). It was YUM! This salad completely hit the spot. Man rating: His plate was licked clean!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 250-300g Firm Tofu
- 2 x tbsp Teriyaki sauce
- 1 x tbsp coconut Oil
- 1 x carrot shredded
- ½ x cucumber chopped
- ½ x red capsicum chopped
- 2 x small handful of spinach
- ½ x avocado sliced
- 1 x sheet of toasted Nori cut into small strips – I used scissors
- 2 x tsp sesame seeds
Oil Free Dressing (As slightly modified from Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat)
- 2 x tbsp fresh ginger peeled & chopped
- 1 cup chickpeas rinsed
- 1 x garlic clove
- 4 x tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 x tbsp soy (I use low sodium)
- 2 x tbsp water
- Juice of 1 x lime
- Pinch of chili flakes
Instructions – Salad
- Chop Tofu into cubes and put in a zip lock bag with teriyaki sauce. Marinate for 1-2 hours (moving tofu pieces around regularly).
- Combine spinach, cucumber, carrot, red capsicum, nori and avocado. Toss through salad dressing.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan. Fry tofu until slightly crispy. Remove from heat and add to salad.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds & serve.
Instructions – Dressing
- Blend & serve
- Meatless Monday : Asian Inspired Glazed Tofu (worldofafatgirl.com)
- Sesame Crusted Teriyaki Glazed Tofu (buddhasmenu.com)