One of my man’s favourite dishes is Beef Stroganoff. Beef Stroganoff originates from Russia (‘Beef Stroganov’) and is a dish of sautéed pieces of beef, served in ‘smetana’ sauce (sour cream) over noodles or rice. I think this pretty much embodies why he loves it so much…. Beef? Check. Creamy sauce? Check. Noodles? Check. Hearty & filling? Check. Personally – I’m not a huge Beef Stroganoff fan. Not that I don’t enjoy the dish; but if I’m going to go out and splurge on a carb filled, creamy sauce-y meal, then this would not be my first choice. That being said, a relationship is all about compromise right? 🙂
So in honour of the man in my life, I recreated a healthy, less “heavy”, noodle-free version of this dish using chicken mince meatballs and Greek yoghurt. The end verdict? Pretty tasty.
Ingredients – Serves 3-4
- 500g chicken or turkey mince
- 2 tsp paprika
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cloves garlic – crushed
- 400g mushrooms – sliced
- 1 med brown onion – sliced
- ¾ cup low sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worchester sauce
- ½ cup all natural Greek Yoghurt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped & prepared green beans
- 3-4 ‘heads’ of bok choy – trimmed
- Chives / Scallions to serve
- Mix mince, paprika, salt & pepper and form into meat balls.
- Heat half the oil in a non stick frying pan over med heat. Cook meatballs for 3-5 minutes until brown on each side. Remove from pan.
- Heat remaining oil and garlic. Add the onion and mushrooms and sauté for about 3 minutes (stirring).
- Whisk the tomato paste, Worchester sauce and chicken stock. Add to pan & bring to a boil.
- Return meat balls to pan. Simmer for approx. 5-8 minutes (depending on meat ball size – until cooked)
- In a separate pot, steam the green beans and bok choy.
- Remove pan from heat, stir through the greek yoghurt. Serve with chopped chives & steamed veggies.
- Beef Stroganoff (simplygourmeteveryday.com)
- Chicken and Mushroom Stroganoff – Recipe (filmfeast.co.uk)
- Beef Stroganoff Recipe (ikhayalenyamablog.wordpress.com)
- Easy Peesy Beef Stroganoff (wholelattenothing.wordpress.com)