Anytime I’ve over shot on the grocery list and there are extra ripe bananas laying around, my partner jumps up and down and requests I make this loaf for him. Fat Kate immediately wants to get baking because this loaf is DELICIOUS, easy to make and extremely addicting. Skinny Kate tends to hesitate because she knows when that hot banana loaf comes out of the oven – there is no stopping her!
That being said, in terms of a treat, the loaf is very healthy! It is sugar free and uses all natural ingredients such as honey, whole meal flour and quinoa flakes. Fat Kate recommends serving it with a little coconut butter (but it totally doesn’t need an accompaniment). The best part? One slice won’t break the diet; and you can’t even tell it’s ‘healthy’.
- 1.5 cups wholemeal flour
- 2/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup all natural honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup macadamia or sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup greek yoghurt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 celcius
- Spray tin loaf with oil and line bottom with baking sheet
- Stir flour, 2/3 of the walnuts, baking powder & cinnamon in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt.
- Stir through quinoa flakes.
- In a seperate bowl mash the bananans. Add the honey, oil, eggs & greek yoghurt and mix.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixtire and stir until just combined
- Spoon / pour mixture into loaf tine. Sprinkle top with remaining walnuts.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean
- Serve with coconut butter (if desired).
- Got Zucchini? (secondhandgardening.com)
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins (callahan4021.wordpress.com)
- Banana & Pecan Loaf (thegreengoddesslife.wordpress.com)