This winter I completely fell in love with the concept of ‘overnight oats’.
I start work relatively early (think 7-7:30am) and typically make a smoothy and drink it at my desk. However this winter, I really struggled drinking a cold smoothy on a cold winter morning.
A friend suggested soaking oats overnight in milk and then heating them in the morning. Intrigued, I tried it. It was a bit of a bumpy start but I think I’ve finally mastered it. These days I’m eating my ‘overnight’ oats at least 3 times a week. Of coure, the true test of any ‘healthy’ meal I create is serving it to my man – who eats these every morning now.
The beauty of these oats is the never ending possibilities. I prefer to soak my oats in coconut water (personal preference – so delicious). My partner has his in skim / almond milk. I normally make an assembly line of Tupperware containers and portion my oats out for the week ahead and store in the cupboard. The night before I add my liquid and grab it from the fridge in the morning on the way out the door. (The blueberry oat picture is what they look like ‘overnight’ in the fridge.) I normally heat them up when I get to work; my partner says he likes his cold. I don’t really think you can go wrong!
Ingredients (one serve – female)
- ½ cup whole grain rolled oats
- 1 tbsp flax / linseed
- 1 tsp. black chia seeds
Other Options (I normally add some concoction of the below)
- 1 tbsp buckwheat
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 Scoop of protein powder (*my favourite)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp acai powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (*my favourite)
Soaking options (cover oat mixture, stir to combine and leave in fridge overnight)
- Skim milk
- Almond / soy milk
- Coconut water (*my favourite)
- ½ cup berries (*my favourite)
- Greek yoghurt
- Splash of milk
- 1 tbsp almond butter (*my 2nd favourite)
Num num num!
- Chocolate Cherry Overnight Oats (callahan4021.wordpress.com)
- Super Blueberry Overnight Oats (simplyblissfullife.wordpress.com)
- Overnight Oats (diaryofaperthgirl.com)
- Mango Overnight Oats (applesaucyblog.wordpress.com)
- Unique Blueberry Overnight Oats (healthylivingrevelations.com)